It is really funny how a certain song or band can take you back to another time or place in our life. Today my music choice is Dashboard Confessional, a band that I am totally in love with. This love affair started while I was in high school. Which made me think about how everyone always says "these are the best four years of your life!" Ummm... Really? I mean high school was great and a lot of fun, but the "best time of my life?" No!! Not even close. I feel bad for those who believe that was their peak, or wish to have that time back.
I am real bad about wanting to get to the next phase of life. I couldn't wait to get married, now that I am married I can't wait to have kids. It is like I convince myself that these next steps will make me happier but it doesn't. I don't even enjoy the thing I waited for because I start waiting for the next thing. So on my road to whole health I am going to enjoy and be happy in the here and now. I am going to enjoy our tiny little house, and not wish for something bigger and newer and ours!! I am going to enjoy school and not just wish to be done. I am going to enjoy not having kids yet and just spending time with my husband. I love my husband and dread the day when we can longer make midnight Wal-Mart runs, or just go somewhere because we can. So if you ever hear me wishing for the next phase, remind me of my words.
May I just say that this is my favorite blog so far. Living in the moment is hard for lots and lots of people....so glad you're choosing to do that!
ReplyDelete